Turon, also known as “banana lumpia,” is a beloved street food in the Philippines. Sweet, crispy, and with a caramelized exterior, it’s a snack that brings both comfort and delight. In this post, we’ll be sharing a simple Turon recipe that you can easily make at home!
- Ripe saba bananas (or plantains)
- Lumpia wrappers (spring roll wrappers)
- Brown sugar
- Cooking oil
- Prepare the Ingredients: Start by gathering your ingredients. Choose ripe saba bananas or plantains for the best flavor and texture. Peel and slice the bananas lengthwise into halves or quarters, depending on their size.
- Prepare the Lumpia Wrappers: Carefully separate the lumpia wrappers and place them on a clean, dry surface. Keep a small bowl of water nearby to dampen the wrappers as needed.
- Assemble the Turon: Take a lumpia wrapper and place a slice of banana near the edge. Sprinkle a generous amount of brown sugar over the banana slice. Fold the sides of the wrapper over the banana, then roll it up tightly like a burrito. Dampen the edges of the wrapper with water to seal the roll.
- Caramelize the Sugar: In a frying pan, heat cooking oil over medium heat. Once the oil is hot, carefully add the wrapped Turon with the sealed edge facing down. Allow it to cook until the sugar starts to caramelize and the wrapper turns golden brown and crispy. Make sure to turn the Turon to cook all sides evenly.
- Drain and Serve: Once the Turon is evenly golden and crispy, carefully remove it from the pan and place it on a plate lined with paper towels to absorb excess oil. Let it cool slightly before serving to avoid burning your mouth with the hot caramelized sugar.
- Enjoy! Serve your homemade Turon warm and crispy. The combination of sweet bananas and caramelized sugar within the crispy wrapper will transport you to the bustling streets of the Philippines. Share this delightful snack with your friends and family and savor the taste of Filipino street food culture.
Turon is not only a treat for the taste buds but also a way to connect with the rich culinary heritage of the Philippines. By preparing this simple Turon recipe at home, you can experience the joy of recreating a beloved street food tradition in your own kitchen.So, gather your ingredients, follow the procedure, and indulge in the flavors of Turon. With each bite, you’ll be reminded of the sweet memories that street food can bring, no matter where you are in the world. Enjoy your culinary journey and the smiles it brings to your loved ones!